Translate

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What to do about hunger.

You won't believe it (I didn't either) but most of the time when we feel a little rumble in the tumbler and immediately envision a gigantic three meat, double cheese burger with an order of large fries--biggy it, please--and a jug of cold, popping soda, it's usually not hunger that we are experiencing; it's thirst. You don't believe me, huh? I don't blame you. I thought the same way. "How the hell is any random guy going to tell me that I don't know my body well enough to know when I am hungry versus when I am thirsty?" Well, that's exactly what I'm telling you.


***Disclaimer***

[Now, first off, I ain't no nutritionist. But this blog does not purport that. I am a common guy who has experimented with the relationship between food consumption and weight gain/loss. I can tell you from personal experience that this is true for me and I am not the only one saying it. Look it up and you'll see.]

Now, when was the last time you actually skipped a meal because you did not have absolutely any way to feed yourself? Probably never. Unless you live in some third-world country and got nothing but dirt to chomp on. Otherwise, food is so accessible these days that most of us live within walking distance to a fast-food joint. What's worse is that it is not only readily accessible, it's dirt cheap! Edible dirt, actually, is harder to find and probably more expensive than fast food and junk food, but healthier for you, I bet. We are surrounded by food. This level of availability does not let us ever go hungry. In fact, we don't know what it is to truly be hungry. Don't get me wrong, there are natural processes and responses designed by nature to get us to feed, drink and do everything else our bodies need for existence. But we are so out of sync with what our bodies have to tell us that when our bodies tell us that we are full, what do we do? We take a minute to breath, wring our hands, chit-chat a little, burp and come right back to that scrumptious meal because we are used to it. In our society, the majority of us are taught to always try to get the most for the least. That's why when we are confronted with the question of fast food versus health food, we tend to choose the fast food primarily because it is cheaper. Also, we share a culture geared toward the pleasure of the senses. Everything is about constant stimulation and very little processing. That's what happens when we watch movies or get on the Internet. We view for laughs and action, and only rarely for seeking content which could help us grow intellectually, emotionally or skill wise. So, too, do we behave this way with food. It's about pleasing the pallet and rarely about fueling the body. And it's so easy and pleasurable to satisfy the pallet.

Well, I'm one of those that enjoys food very much for the flavors and textures and rarely see it as simply fuel for the body. If I were always seeing it as such then maybe it would be easier to make better choices about what to ingest. It's like being at the gas station and filling up your tank with piss. Chances are your car ain't going to run. Unless, of course, you drink Tequila like water, then maybe you got a chance. Most of us know what it feels like to eat a very tasty meal but then be incredibly sluggish afterwards. That's because we didn't feed our body the right fuel for it to function properly. When you feed on things with high fiber, water, and nutrients, the break-down process in the stomach takes on a whole different aspect. You don't get high insulin spikes. The water and fiber help you feel fuller for a longer period, and the nutrients are released evenly so that you are adequately fueled and ready to go.

This brings me to the answer to the question posed today. What to do about hunger? First, drink some water. You don't like water? Get some diet green tea. Have some non-sugary liquid first and ponder the question of hunger. Then if you still feel the pangs wreaking havoc, confusing those around you about whether you farted shamelessly or not, go for some fruit or veggies like carrots. I know, it's not as glamorous as a big ole bucket o' chicken but it will help you get your mind off the idea of solving the problem with fast food or junk food. (Unless, of course, it's your normal eating time, then have yourself a full meal, but lay off the refined carbs and sugar, please.)

So try it. The first step in changing the process of gaining weight is making small changes to our behaviors, our habits. Instead of reaching for the candy bar, go for the water. If it quells your "hunger" then it wasn't hunger at all but thirst coupled by a response to some situation or stimuli. Like eating a huge fast food meal after a long, tough day at work. Or eating half a chocolate cake 'cuz your relationship is in shambles. These are responses to external pressures and not internal needs.

UPDATE!

Day 2: The first thing I ate today was a banana. I then had two scrambled eggs with pork chorizo this morning. I also had a small avocado with pork rinds. I sauteed about ten mini-carrots, and grilled two mozzarella cheese sticks. And, lastly, I had about three tablespoons of hummus. All this was my breakfast. For mid-morning treat I had a 20 oz. black coffee. For lunch I had a bottled water with a individual-sized pack of roasted peanuts. (I'm guessing about 10 oz. actually). It's 7:00 p.m. Central Time (U.S./Canada). I don't eat after 6 p.m. I am feeling the hunger a bit. I am going to have a hot cup of green tea with Stevia. That should hold me...barely. (Personal note: Stop using the "Day" counter; could be cumbersome after a while).

2 comments:

  1. I am going to take your advice and have a cup of water and pretend that it is a chocolate covered pretzel and peanut butter Blizzard. ...gulp......gulp.....gulp....delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I bet you'll be stuffed after that deliciously decadent cup of water. Good for you. Lol

    ReplyDelete