Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

A Setback is not A Defeat

Setbacks are common things we deal with in our lives. If everyday we experienced only success in what we do, there would be no learning process, no need to improve ourselves or rethink our strategy to perform what ever the task at hand.

Today was one of those days for me: a very difficult day full of stress and pressures that drained me of energy and compelled me to comfort myself with food. I tried hard to maintain my discipline, but must admit that today I was not triumphant.

But that is okay.

We must be able to look at each day as isolated and a challenge all of its own.

Each day brings a renewed effort in the battle to keep up with your good habits while distancing yourself from the bad habits.

I did fail on my discipline today. But it was not an entire failure. I craved foods for the sake of eating because I was stressed out, tired, and exhausted. However, instead of simply losing myself in the process, I at least was able to take control of what foods I was eating during this tough day.

I did not consume sugar or flour or wheat in any forms. But I did eat three meals and three snacks during the day. The last meal was at 8 p.m. which is a big no-no for me. Nonetheless, the foods were all meats, cheese, peanuts, fruit, and a lot of diet green tea, plus one large serving of black coffee late at night.

I am sure the list of foods doesn't seem as bad as I was making out, but the problem is two-sided. One, I ate way after 6 p.m.; and two, I did absolutely no exercise. It is possible that some may look at my previous posts and think that I do not believe in exercising for weight loss, but this is far from the truth.

My belief is that exercise is absolutely crucial to weight loss, but it should not hurt, nor incapacitate you, nor should it require that you go out of your daily routine. Since I am a single parent, I do not have the time to get in my car and go to another location away from my home to exercise. I must incorporate exercise into my everyday time demands and duties.

Therefore, although today was a day in which I was way off on my weight-loss strategy, which I am sure will have undone some of my progress because it was like having a second "day off," I still believe in my capacity to effect the changes that I desire and recognize that this will take time and consistency.

It will also take the presence of mind to acknowledge that setbacks are a natural part of life, and they, too, can assist you in motivating yourself to refocus on your goals.

Don't be afraid to lose the battle today. There is always tomorrow to regroup. You should fear losing faith in yourself, for this will certainly lead you to lose the war.

P.s. They can't all be home runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment