Translate

Friday, April 26, 2013

Temptation Is Innocent

If you find yourself being incredibly tempted to betray your own commitments, it is likely that this is the product of your own doing more than anything else. In other words, if you fail to stay away from the "bad" foods, chances are that you didn't distance yourself far enough from them to begin with, so of course the challenge is going to be that much more difficult to overcome.

As with anything else that we seek to stay away from in order to be faithful to a prior commitment, when trying to lose weight and change the course of your life, it is essential that you open your eyes to your own everyday actions and see where the flaw lies. It is within your control.

You are the one who, when out at the supermarket, allows yourself to grab that bag of potato chips (empty carbs) and soda pop (about 8 to 12 teaspoons of pure sugar) with the idea that,

"It's just a small treat. I don't eat this stuff everyday".

But then the next day you buy yourself a candy bar and orange juice and think nothing of it, because - hey, see, I'm not eating those chips and soda everyday. This line of thinking takes place in our minds. I call it justification. You justify your bad habits by attempting to fool yourself in the way you look at the things you eat.

And then there is the idea of situational temptation. If you know you have a weakness for chocolate cake, don't hang around at a party around the time they are going to cut the cake.

Make up an excuse to leave.

You can come back later when the cake is gone and the pressure is no longer there to participate in this mass sugar overdosing event.

I personaly don't understand why the celebration has to be marked by the inclusion of some decadent treat like a cake?

Why can't it be some other treat, like fruit or beer?
Hmm, beer versus cake...yup, beer wins.

It's easy to not be tempted to eat the bad stuff. All you have to do is walk in the opposite direction of where the bad stuff is being offered. If you go for a swim, chances are you will be getting wet. You don't want to get wet? Don't dive into the river!

With that said, I am confronted by a situation which could very easily lead to me being participant in a night of drinking and eating beyond necessity. I don't have to, but it is a party. And when you go to a party in South Texas, and you don't eat or drink, well that's just like telling your family to go bend over somewhere. Not appreciated. Maybe that's just my family. But anyway, I will be tested. Let's see if I am able to hold and not give in.
Tomorrow I will have new results. Let's hope I can hold. If not, then I will count today as my "off " day, and will start the new week tomorrow. I don't want to do that because I like taking the whole day Saturday to do whatever I like. Oh, well. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment